Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Making Candy on High Heat...Yeah...Bad Idea!

I have a new cookbook with some super yummy looking recipes and one of them is a candy recipe.  I should have realized that when it said high heat for 6 to 8 minutes I was going to be in trouble.  It didn't click today, and I paid dearly for this costly mistake and so did everyone in this house.  My hound dog was howling it was so awful, black smoke, and the STINK!!!!  Barfy funky stink. 

So, my hubby being the wonderful man that he is, volunteered to go and get me more almonds so, I could try another batch at a lower temperature.  I think he wanted to escape the funk.  I tried again and well, this time at a much lower temp, it turned out great.  I should have realized that the directions were sadly lacking on that recipe. 

I had also made some peppermint bark before that.  If you can nuke, you can make it.  So easy.  I will share my recipe with you.  People will think you slaved over a hot stove to make what is simply the easiest thing going.  You will need, a bag of semi sweet chocolate chips, I used Guittard, my favorite brand.  One bag of white chocolate chips, I used Nestle, get the 12 ounce sizes for both and one bag of crushed peppermint candy, same 12 ounce size, you won't use all of it, either.  Only about half of the bag. Wax paper and a cookie sheet.  Roll out some of the waxed paper onto a clean cookie sheet. 
Dump your chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl, nuke for about 2 minutes, then check, stir and if they aren't melted, nuke for about 30 seconds, check by stirring, if no, try 30 more seconds until they stir and lose their shape, do not over cook since chocolate scorches easily, you will have funk...see above and will have to throw it out.  Pour your melted chocolate on the  sheet of waxed paper.  Spread it with the back of a spoon.  Try to make it into a rectangle. 

Now, take another microwave safe bowl and pour in the bag of white chocolate chips, start on 1 minute and nuke it.  Be forewarned, white chocolate actually scorches faster than the semi sweet, try to mix it, if it won't mix, then nuke for 30 seconds, and try to stir again, if not keep doing 30 second increments and when it finally stirs, pour this melted chocolate onto the rectangle of the semi sweet chocolate.  Now, take the bag of peppermint and cover the white chocolate with it.  I try to coat it pretty good.  Not all of it will stick, you will have excess.  Take the whole cookie sheet and waxed paper, place in the refrigerator for about an hour. 

The fun part...breaking it up into bite sized pieces after it has been in the fridge for an hour.  Find a spot where you won't mind the mess...it is messy.  I let the hubby take out his aggressions on it.  Break it into small pieces.  I store mine in a plastic container with a lid in the fridge. 

When I was asked by my hubby what I was thinking with the high heat...I realized, I haven't baked or made candy in years.  Not since the diabetes diagnosis.  I just haven't been in the mood to do it.  The new cookbook inspired me to bake and make candy for Christmas. 

I have the family Christmas party this Saturday and I am trying to clean the place up and find spots for all of my crafting items.  I have yarn galore, scrapbooking supplies, and fiber all over this place. We are slowly getting there.  I also have fabric.  No more crafting supplies in this house, we are full up. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful and Merry Christmas.  Happy New Year.  Be safe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment