Monday, October 13, 2014

The Sparkly Kathleen Sock

I finally found my camera.  Woo!  It had all the pictures of the new sock on it.  I have been contemplating this sock for a while and decided to just do it to see if it would work.  It did. 

Side view of the Kathleen Sparkly sock

Front view of the sock

Back view and heel

Close up of bead work and pattern
The yarn is a merino/silk I hand dyed, it is called Clementine.  This is my test knit.  I am testing the pattern and I will be writing it down, soon.  It will be for sale in my shop.  The finished pair of socks will be for sale in the shop as well.  I have to finish the second one.  I am no longer knitting socks for free for family and friends.  I am charging my rate, which will pay for the yarn and the wear and tear on my hands. 

I chose to use Dyna-mites beads from Fire Mountain Gems.  Love the price tag on the beads, in my ball park.  The color is root beer, a rainbow transparent.  I used rocailles, size 6/0.  My crochet hook is a size 9 steel hook.  I knit this sock on US3 addi turbo sock rockets.  Love those needles, they have the sharp points and they come in my favorite cable length, 24 inches.  I use 2 of them to knit socks.  I had to explain that this weekend to another knitter. She couldn't wrap her head around the fact that I use two needles to knit a pair of socks.  I can use dpns but, my preferred method is the two needles. 

I have found it is far easier to knit lace socks on two circs.  It holds the work for me when I am not knitting.  Love that feature.  I have tried so many different needles over the years and always faithfully return to my addi turbos.  Best purchase, ever.  I know they are expensive but, if you knit professionally like I do, spend the money for them. 

 

1 comment:

  1. Wow - this sock is amazing - I've never seen something like this before.
    Great idea!

    ReplyDelete