Friday, March 6, 2015

My First Quilt, Ever in Progress

My backing fabric

My patchwork top

Another view of my quilt top, in progress.

I love how well the top of my quilt is coming along.  I have more strips to sew onto the big piece and then I will be measuring to see if it is the right width.  I need 45 inches wide and 60 inches long.  I am using a fussy cut ruler for this project. 

I chose pink, black and white because they are such great colors together.  I found really cute fat quarters on Zulily and most of them came from Adorn It!  The pink sparkly damask fabric came from Hobby Lobby.  If you want really cute cotton fabrics, that is the place to hit.  This will be my throw quilt to snuggle up under on the couch.  I was reading a quilting magazine and their advice, which I loved, was..."keep your first quilt so, you can go back and look at how much you have improved."  I loved that advice.  I am going to keep this one and then go on to another one after this one.  There may be a bunch of patch work quilts floating around the family until I get really comfortable and branch out to the really fancy ones. 

I taught myself to sew.  I haven't had any classes or anything.  I just sat down one day and figured it out.  I think I am doing pretty well for someone who hasn't had a teacher. 

I decided to make a quilt when I had the tennis elbow from vacuuming too much with my DC 59.  I still love that thing but, I don't get to use it as much since the arm can't handle it.  So, I took my sewing machine out and started to sew.  It worked really well to fill my days up and keep my creative juices flowing.  I am so glad that I did.  I am learning new things every day. 

I will keep everyone posted on my progress with my quilt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment