Saturday, March 28, 2015

Sock Pattern on the House Knitting with 2 Circulars

Plain Jane Sock Pattern

Cast on 54 stitches with US 3 needles, be sure to not twist your stitches as you knit the first row, otherwise, rip them all off the needle and start again.  At the join for the other needle, watch out for the twist or repeat the previous step. 

Join your yarn and start knitting, this sock does not incorporate any form of ribbing.  Keep knitting until you decide that you want to start your heel flap.  I usually try to do about 5 or 6 inches of leg for my socks.  Sometimes, I get bored and decide to just knit 4 inches. 

Heel flap on needle 1: 
Knit across row 1. 
K4, purl, k4 to end the row.
Keep repeating these two rows until you have 9 garter stitch ridges on each side of the heel flap. 

Heel turn:
Knit 17 stitches, ssk, turn.
Slip the 1st stitch and purl 7 stitches, p2tog, turn
Slip the 1st stitch and knit 7 stitches, ssk, turn. 
Keep repeating these two stitches until you are left with 9 stitches on your needles, Knit across the 9 stitches and start picking up stitches on each of the garter stitch ridges on the sides.  You will have 9 new picked up stitches and pick up one more stitch at the top before you pick up needle 2 and knit across the 27 stitches that have been sitting unworked while you have been working on your heel flap.  Pick up 10 stitches with needle 1 on the other side of the heel flap working downwards. 
Knit two rounds.
Gusset:
Knit 1, ssk, knit until three stitches from the end on needle 1, k2tog, k1.
You should have 27 stitches on needle 1. 

Foot. 
Keep knitting in the round with both needles until you get to your foot size, try the sock on.  When your sock is long enough, it should reach to the bottom of your pinky toe.  This is how I size my socks I wear an 8.5US women's. 
Toe:
This is a simple toe and it works out really well for every single pair of socks that I have knit.  I have knit many pairs. 
Needle 1:  knit 1,ssk, knit until 3 stitches from the end, k2tog, k1. 
Needle 2: knit 1, ssk, knit until 3 stitches from the end, k2tog, k1.
Knit plain around, and repeat these two decreasing stitches every other round being sure to knit a plain round in between the decreasing rounds.  Now, count your stitches on your needles and when you get to 34 stitches on the needles total, so, 17 stitches on each needle, then decrease every round.  If you think your sock isn't long enough, then wait until you think it fits well enough and then start decreasing every row until you get a minimal amount left on your needles, I usually end mine with 10 stitches total, cut the yarn, and then weave in all stitches via Kitchner stitch. 
Enjoy! 

I have worked this single gusset decrease sock several times and with the high instep people I knit for, they love it.  I have a high instep and I actually love this one stitch gusset. 
The heel is a Dutch heel and very simple to knit.  It is my go to heel. 

The heel flap with the k4 on each end, to mark the end of the k4, place a stitch marker, otherwise, it will make you crazy!  I always add on a stitch marker to help me remember to do my final k4 on the purl side of the flap.  It also makes it so much easier to pick up stitches with this decorative edge. 

If you have issues picking up stitches with a needle, then please by all means use a crochet hook in size e or f.  I used to use one before I had been doing a lot of crochet and realized that the same wrap stitch in crochet could be used with a knitting needle.  I also love to anchor my heels with two rounds of plain knitting before I start the gusset.  No holes this way and it also has more give. 

If you have any questions, please leave me a comment and I will try to get back to you.  I know sometimes people just want to knit a plain sock with no ornamentation and I was asked to write my pattern down. 

The US 3 circular needles need to have a 24 inch cord.  I use Addi turbo rockets, which are great because they have super sharp points which really get under the stitch.  They are most excellent on lace. 

3 comments:

  1. Superb post and thanks for share a nice piece of content with us.....Very well written.
    Yahoo contact number

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mind blowing post share by you it,s very helpful-yahoo phone number

    ReplyDelete