Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Rip It Rip It

I started the Vlad shawl with the wild berry yarn...ripped it off of the needles, couldn't see the pattern.  I grabbed a yarn out of the stash and tried it out.  So far, so good.  I am on the last chart of the shawl.  So can't wait to see the end of this beast.  This yarn is the Witching Hour and it is a Super wash merino and tencel blend that is killer to knit with.  Love this yarn.  It also has great yardage....450 yards of yarn.  I still have a big chunk of yarn left on my skein.  This is one of my yarns that I had painted last year or the year before.  I can't keep up anymore.  Too many things on my plate and so many things happening with my life. 
 
Here is the great news...had my blood work done and it came back with me at the pre-diabetic stage.  Oh yes, I am one happy camper!  I was told to keep up what I am doing and I should be diabetes free in three months.  I have to drop my cholesterol 100 points..still on the fish pills and I need to lose more weight.  I am done 32 pounds already.  Woot!  Woot! 

Today I fell off of the diet when I hit the local chicken place to have some of their spicy chicken strips with some red beans and rice and a 1/4 of a biscuit.  It was fantastic and I enjoyed every single bit of it.  I went grocery shopping with my sister afterwards and I was drooling in the produce department.  I was looking at the fresh corn on the cob and all the veggies.  Oh, I am a fiend for fruits and veggies now.  I look at a greasy burger and I am just sickened by it.  It just doesn't appeal anymore.  I have lost my taste for milk chocolate...these days it is the dark chocolate that does it for me since it isn't sweet at all.  Put an almond in it and we are talking.  That works for me. 

My sister calls me the food police.  Okay, I admit it, I tend to lecture on the bad foods these days but, I am trying to curb this attitude.  I am trying.  I have found if I go to a burger place, I get the kids portion and it works out fine for me.  I am full.  Those junior burgers are a great invention, not too much bread, not too much meat, just right. 

Tonight I made meatballs with bulgur and pasta sauce with cauliflower with cheese.  It was really good.  I don't eat pasta anymore, it isn't worth the heartache and spiked blood sugar.  The bulgur works out nicely and a little bit goes a long way.  I cook it in the rice cooker or on the stove but, it is so simple.  It takes 1/2 a cup with 1 cup of broth or water to cook it.  Add in a little pat of butter for a bit of flavor and it is tasty.  It is also low glycemic and when you are trying to watch what you eat, it is wonderful for filling you up without killing any beta cells.  That 1/2 cup of bulgur comes out at about 2 to 3 cups of bulgur in the end.  I usually put it in my storage container and stick it in the fridge to have it later in the week.  I also like quinoa and bulgur together.  I know it sounds funky but, when you are limited in your foods...you will find out what you like and don't like.  I can live without freekeh....tasteless and expensive...do not waste your time.  Bulgur can be found at the grocery store as well as the quinoa.  I did buy some chia seeds...those things aren't cheap but, man you don't need much to put on your salad.  They are funky things but, tasty. 

I also have been dealing with figs...my fig tree is out of control.  I have to go out and pick figs daily since this thing is producing like crazy.  I have been making jelly out of the things.  I have sugar jelly and I have xyla jelly for me.  The hubby has the sugar jelly.  I have been sharing my jars of fig jelly with family members and friends.  I even have a list of people who want a jar or two.  One of them is in Brazil right now and she said they will be back in January of 2013 and she will get her jelly then. 

I also made some tuna salad last night, I boiled some eggs and when I went to put the celery in...out of celery, dang!  So, I looked in the fridge for the relish...out of the too.  I mixed it up with what I had, the boiled eggs, the tuna, the mayo, and the spicy brown mustard.  Tonight I added in the relish and tomorrow I will be adding the celery.  I love the freshness of the celery in my tuna salad...mmm.  It tastes pretty good so far but, it needs the celery for that freshness.  I can't wait, that is lunch tomorrow. 
 
We tried those miracle noodles and that is one item I will never buy again...the texture nearly had me gagging.  I can't deal with it.  I like glass noodles and someone said that they were like glass noodles...LIARS!  Those things are nothing like glass noodles.  I can't even begin to describe how disgusting they are.  Avoid them like the plague.  Not worth the stink, either.  If you can't handle a rotten fishy smell avoid them.  I packed them off to my niece. 

I had to buy a new bathroom scale because the cheapy one I had was a piece of junk and gave different weights each time we stepped on it.  It was never right so, I bought a medium priced one...there are some that are out of this world in price...it needs to be able to clean the house if it is over $100.  My new one was $50, more than I would have normally spent but, it had all the bells and whistles I was looking for, another $10 would have gotten me one that had more bells and whistles than I thought I needed.  This one tells body fat percentage and water percentages along with weight.  The thing is just crazy.  I should have never bought the thing with the body fat percentage...it pisses me off every morning because one day it says less and the next day, it is more.  Nothing like a scale that tells you all the hard work you have done swimming hasn't garnered a damn thing.  GRRRR!!  It is just frustrating.  So, I find myself ignoring the body fat percentage now...it was driving my blood pressure up and I don't want to be on those damn pills like everyone else in my family.  I don't want high blood pressure but, I figure as long as I need to drop 100 more points on my bad triglycerides, it isn't going to be a good blood pressure reading at all.  I took it this morning and it was okay.  I can live with okay for right now. 



No comments:

Post a Comment