Sunday, July 28, 2013

Socks, Not a Bad Idea

I am sick of working on the blanket and as the hubby informed me, I need at least 16 more rows to get it big enough to cover the bed.  Oh my!  So, I took it upon myself to stop and take a much needed break from it.  I cast on for a pair of socks for me. 

Yep, they are mine.  I am already on the foot.  I started at the cuff and I am working completely without a pattern.  After all the years of knitting socks, I figure I can knit a pair completely by rote.  So far, so good.  I improvised my heel and it worked.  The yarn is one of my own hand painted, in Acid Rain.  It is a super wash merino/nylon blend that is so soft and comfy.  I have several pairs of socks out of this particular yarn. 

It holds up really well against the carpets.  One pair I actually managed to shrink by accident in the dryer.  Don't use it in the dryer.  I found that out on my own.  I should know better since I am normally dealing with yarns. 

Our microwave gave up the battle last night and after the hubby stuck his frozen hamburger patty in the thing for 2 minutes and it came out ice cold, we knew, it was dead.   I called my sister who gets a killer discount on appliances and since I am family, I had to ask to use the discount for our new microwave/convection oven.  It comes in next Thursday.  We are moving up in the world. 

We did know that it was on it's way out since the turn table stopped working a couple of years ago and we decided to wait and see how long it would work after that stopped.  It held up for a couple of more years.  We did get our money's worth out of it.  The rule of thumb for appliances in this day and age is if they last 10 years, then you are lucky.  If they last longer, you are damn lucky! 

I am taking it easy today, I am completely worn out from my road trip on Friday.  I went to see my second to oldest sister and put flowers on my parents' graves along with my Aunt Melie, my great grandparents and my older brother.  I ran out of flowers and will need to buy more flowers for the rest of the family who are buried there.  I took my sister the figs out of the refrigerator. I had so many, I was out of room in there.  My sister wanted them, so, I drove the 100 miles to take them to her.  I have to pick more figs for another sister.  She wants some.  I will have to meet her half way since I am not inclined to go south right now. 




No comments:

Post a Comment