Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Little Unconventional Medicine Works

Right now, I am dealing with a dog, an old dog, and a very well loved old dog who has acral lick granulomas.  Major headache if you have never had to deal with this mess.  He has been in an E-collar for weeks now because we had tried everything we could think of to help him.  Then I thought about it for a while and decided it worked on my foot and it works on baby's butts so, why won't it work on this dog?  You are probably thinking I have lost my mind, nearly but, I am still sane. 

What I decided to do was to take matters into my own hands since what I have read about this particular skin disorder is not helpful at all.  So, I decided to use Hibiclens for the wounds.  Then I would protect his wounds with Dr. Smith's diaper rash ointment.  This stuff kills fungus.  Most people don't realize that diaper rash is a fungus.  Yep, and it works wonders on this dog with this acral lick granuloma.  It is healing it quite nicely.  He feels so much better that he even crawled into the bathtub on his own steam.  I didn't have to yell the house down.  This tells me that he is better.  I looked at his skin and it is healing nicely. 

With the hibiclens, I wet down him legs and then apply it.  I let it sit for a bit, to sterilize the areas and I rinse it off with warm water.  Next we get him out of the tub and dry him off.  Be very careful that you don't rub the spots with the towel, dab them.  When the dog is dry, slather on the Dr. Smith's and put it on liberally.  You will have to get that E-collar back on the dog.  It is helping and I didn't have to spend an arm and leg on special leg covers.  I had both items in my home.  I will be replenishing both items after this week.  I am hoping that when I take him in for his annual visit with the vet, the legs will be healed completely with hair growth returning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment