Saturday, May 12, 2012

Trying to Play Catch Up

I am trying to play catch up on my knitting.  I am on the last repeat of chart 2 on the shawl and I so can't wait to get to the next chart.  I am already researching and looking up my next project.  Yeah, I am hooked on lace knitting.  It is a bad obsession right now.  I have a pile of projects that need to be blocked but, getting out the big old blocking board is a pita. 

Tonight I had a severe reaction to something, I had hives all over my face and then they attacked my right eye.  I was scratching everywhere and I decided I better take an antihistamine to fix the problem.  It took care of it for me.  I have no idea what did me in.  No clue at all.

I was digging in my yarn stash to see what I can find to use next and I came up with two yarns, both of them are mine, I had painted them.  One of them is a green paint and the other is a bright paint called Citrus Zing.  I love painting yarns.  I am going to be starting my Christmas present knitting soon.  Yep, I plan to knit them this year.  I know what I will be knitting.  I have to go do some research on several of them.  I also have a pattern in mind of my own.  I just have to write it down and knit it.  I have no idea if I will offer it up for sale or for free.  I guess it will depend on how I feel at the time or if I need extra cash. 

I am still not buying yarn, I am trying to be good and I have to use some of this yarn up.  I have a massive yarn stash.  I want to get it under control.  If I use more of it then maybe I can purchase some later.  I am always on the lookout for a good bargain where yarn is concerned. 

The picture is what was outside in my front yard on Thursday morning.  I saw it and had to take a picture of it.  We were headed out to San Antonio to deliver my MIL's present.  We had a nice trip.  Although, I have to say the trip home was pure hell.  We were in the middle of a huge thunderstorm with another band behind us.  I-10 is black topped and add rain, night and it is next to impossible to see the stripes on the road.  It wasn't fun.  We made it home before the major weather hit. 

Today we worked in the garden.  I have been pulling carrots out of the garden for the last three days and I have to say, they are quite tasty.  I was going to plant more but, I decided not to and put in the dill I will need when my cucumbers start to produce so, I can go ahead and have dill for pickles.  I am so ready.  We will have to purchase quart jars but, I don't mind since I know the pickles will be put to good use.  I know Melinda has expressed an interest in them.  If she comes over to help me can them, then I will give her some.  It is only fair to share what comes out of the garden with anyone who helps me out.  Mom and Daddy always shared with whomever helped them so, I am carrying on the tradition. 

The green bean plants are looking great.  The tomatoes are doing well.  Gary's one kohlrabi is growing pretty good.  I am adding herbs around the tomato plants since it will help the tomatoes out.  Companion planting is a great thing.  I will be planting the patty pan squash into the garden when the ground dries out.  So far, only one of  the seeds that I planted has come up.  I hope the second one will come up.  I need at least two.  I have baby okra popping up in the container.  I am running out of room.  I wish my garden were a little bit bigger so, I could plant more stuff that I love.  I came up with an ingenious idea, my strawberries love nitrogen so, I planted green beans in their pot.  I am hoping that they will be beneficial to each other.  That is the plan. 

I had to call my oldest sister to talk to her today.  I actually talked to my BIL for a while about tomato cages and canning.  They wanted to know where I purchased my tomato cages.  They saw them when they were here last weekend.  I actually had to purchase more since I needed them for my blackberries.  The weirdest thing happened, we took one of the red tomato cages and popped it over one of the three blackberry plants and do you know, it is growing really well?  It took off.  So, we decided to get three more cages in red to put over the other two to see if they would do the same.  We did that today.  I will keep everyone posted if it works out for us.  Stranger things have happened.  Burpee sells the cages in threes.  I had tried to get them last year but, they sold out so, I bought them early and when my sister and bil spotted them they really wanted to know where I found them.  They are really sturdy and should last a couple of seasons or more.  They are powder coated which is a great painting process. 

My tomatoes are setting flowers which I am so ready for.  I can't wait for garden fresh tomatoes.  I love them.  I can't eat the hybrids that are sold in the grocery store, they have too much acid for me.  I prefer the heirloom tomatoes, they have less acid and taste fantastic.  They are wonderful on sandwiches and on salads.  My mouth is starting to water thinking about them.  I love the Cherokee purple tomatoes..we had a huge one last year that was incredible.  I loved it, Gary said it was okay. 

I know I sound like a complete home body but, I am happy with my garden.  I love having it out there.  It is so relaxing for me to go out there and see what is ready.  I check on it each day.  With all of the rain we have had, I do not have to fertilize it for a bit.  Yay! 

My strawberries are producing as well.  I had one yesterday and it was fantastic.  I have more that will be needed to be pulled tomorrow and the day after.  I can't wait for more fresh sweet strawberries.  My main concern right now is my persimmon tree, she isn't doing too well.  I hope the rain will perk her up.  She wasn't getting water from the sprinkler and I didn't realize it until she started dropping leaves.  Poor thing.  I hope that this rain will help her.  I even fertilized her so, I am hoping that helps her out. 

We finally found a use for the Seville oranges in the tree in the back yard.  This is the massive orange tree.  Gary was reading and it seems that Seville oranges make fantastic meat marinade.  We aren't fans of orange marmalade at all.  Ugh!  We had made some last year and it didn't gel so, we pitched it.  We should have saved it and used it for meat marinade.  So, we decided that we are going to juice the next crop and freeze the juice for marinades.  Should be interesting.  Seville oranges is what Grand Marnier is made from. 

The key lime tree is doing okay.  It hasn't produced fruit since it froze.  Poor thing but, it did come back. 

The fig tree is loaded with fruit and we have plans to make preserves out of the fruit.  I can't wait.  I love fig preserves on whole wheat toast.  Yum yum! 


No comments:

Post a Comment