Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer Yarn Painting

I know today isn't the first day of summer but, who cares..not me.  I know it is tomorrow.  Oh fun, just think of the heat...here in Texas it means hotter than well, you know where.  Lately, we have been suffering with serious heat.  It is too damn early to be this hot.  Just saying. 

I have been dabbling in the yarn dyes and coming up with some interesting shades.  Yep, new stuff is in the shop.  I have been looking at my yarn stash for new things to knit.  I am constantly knitting something these days.  It keeps me sane. 

News for the year...I will not be at Rice Harvest Festival this year.  I am saving my cash and since my health isn't beer and skittles these days, I decided to skip it. I am staying home in October. 

On the garden front...the tomatoes are ripening on the cherry and we have one more on the mystery tomato.  I always seem to have a mystery tomato each year.  I do not label the things.  It is kind of exciting to guess what it is.  I can't decide if it is the big rainbow or the Cherokee purple.  Either way, when it ripens...it is something to crow about. 

Today I am taking myself off to the doctor to find out what is happening in my lungs.  Something is going on since I am constantly short of breath.  Nebulizing didn't help, it just made me crazy all night long, I was awake and wired.  That could also have been the high blood sugar courtesy of my stupidity.  I had frozen yogurt yesterday and copious amounts of it.  I must realize I am not of normal blood sugar and I have to realize my limitations.  Old habits are a bitch to break.  Seriously. 

The newest shawl is coming along nicely, if anyone would like to know about it, it is called Summer Flies by Holly and Ella knits.  I found it on Ravelry but, I believe if you google it, you can find it.  It is very simple and easy to knit.  If you can do a yarn over or a passed slip stitch over, those are the two hardest items in the shawl.  See...easy peasy.  It calls for worsted weight yarn, I am using dk weight.  It is turning out nicely.  I will take some pics and post them for everyone to see.  I was concerned about one section but, my fears were unfounded.  I am so in love with the openwork section that I am thinking of knitting a sweater with that pattern.  It is cool.  It would make a gorgeous shrug or a summer shell.  Hmm, might have to get out the sweater software and get crazy with it.  I have the yarn for it.

My hubby would agree about the yarn...I have yarn everywhere and my goal for the year...I have one this year...is to use as much of it up as possible.  Yep, I am going to try and see what I can come up with.  I have to also knit a hat, I am not in the mood to do it, yet.  I have to be in the mood for hats.  I think maybe next month I might be ready to knit that hat.  It is going to a friend's son.  He is a very good kid.  I am still thinking of the pattern for it.  I want to do it in Fair Isle and I am slowly looking around for my options for the design. 

I also need to clean my home for our annual pool party.  I am lazy, I admit it and I positively hate house cleaning.  It means I have to get organized and get my yarn out of the family room, out of the formal living room, and other areas of the house.  See, yarn everywhere.  I don't even know what kind of yarn I have since I have copious amounts of it.  I am not like my MIL who has a yarn room which she has somewhat organized, she has shelves that fit her plastic bins of yarn. 

I will drag my camera downstairs today and start snapping photos of my work and my garden.  Lately, we have been battling fire ants...I have nothing good to say about that creature.  I have painful bites and blisters all over my feet, my hands, my arms, my back, my tummy, everywhere.  The damn things got into my pool and decided to just lay into us.  They must pay.  Gary used ant bait.  I am opting for something a bit more stronger to just kill them outright.  Since gasoline would burn down my home, I can't use that.  My niece used to run a long wick and use an M90 fire cracker with gasoline poured around the mound to kill her ants.  I don't think that would go over too well here in suburbia.  If we were out in the country on our own land, that wouldn't be a problem.  My luck I would start a grass fire. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment