Sunday, June 24, 2012

Strawberry Margarita Merino/Silk Sock Yarn becomes a Shawl

This is one of my hand painted yarns, Strawberry Margarita.  It is a merino/silk sock yarn that I painted last week.  I decided it needed to become something special and since I am so hooked on lace knitting, I decided it was going to become a shawl.  It is too pretty to be on feet but, as we all know...feet need something to pretty them up.  Generally, I would be knitting socks about now but, I don't want to. 

So, I decided to take a skein of my favorite sock yarn and make a shawl out of it.  I know some knitters would think...this won't work...oh yes it will.  If you find that lace weight yarn is too damn thin for you and you want to knit lace, try fingering weight, it will make a lovely shawl.  It won't be a huge shawl but, it will be perfect to wrap around your neck and keep your neck warm.  Not only will your neck be warm, no huge scarf to pack around, and it will be a gorgeous accessory that other ladies will want to know where you bought it.

I have knit myself and one of my sisters a mini shawl for the neck.  I have had more women stop me and ask where did I get it and where can they get one like it?  I explain patiently that I am a knitter and I made it myself.  Oh, is knitting hard, is usually the question I get.  No, it isn't hard, it just takes practice and it will change your life.  I would be lost without my knitting needles.  It keeps me sane and I am proud to show off my work to whomever wants to see it. 

The skein has 440 yards on it and my shawl pattern calls for 440 yards.  If I need more yarn, I will be getting out my dyes and painting another skein of this particular yarn.  Let's hope this one skein will do the trick.  The shawl is Romanesque by Emily Ross.  I found it on Ravelry, it was a purchase, this one isn't free like her Haruni shawl.  Haruni is a fun one to knit.  I did mine on a KAL.  One of the groups I belong to on there did it and well, I had the time.  Since I am no longer on there as much...just to peruse patterns or another place to peruse free patterns is Elann.  They have some killer patterns for shawls on there.  I love their program for yarn, spend a certain amount and you get a $50 credit.  That credit has come along when I needed something nice but, couldn't justify spending the cash right then.  I love their voucher program too.  If you buy a book, then you get vouchers and vouchers will take cash off of your grand total.  It is worth the avid knitter's time to sign up to be a customer with them.  Signing up is free. 

I am using a size 5 US Addi turbo click long shank lace needle.  I love the clicks, they beat those things that come undone in the middle of a row...hate those things.  I know, they aren't cheap needles but, if you knit as much as I do and you also knit professionally as I do...then spend the money, they are so worth it.  Ask for them for a special present, you won't be disappointed.  The best part about the Addi turbos...they last.  The cheapies wear out fairly quickly. 

Right now, we are dealing with extreme temps, the high today is 100F.  Miserable and then add in the Texas humidity and you have a new brand of hell.  Yep.  I get asked why would you be knitting with wool in the middle of summer?  Well, wool breathes and it is the best time to knit my Christmas presents.  This means I am done by the time it rolls around and I can have the time to decorate my home and take it easy. 

Next on my agenda is to pick up my home and get it ready for company hitting on Saturday.  We are having our annual swim party and this means I have friends and relatives invading.  My house is not ready.  I have to pick it up and organize it.  Organization is my big problem, I am not organized at all and I know this drives the hubby crazy.  I am going to try and get it all under control this week.  That is the number one goal.  I won't be posting, I will be cleaning. 

I hope everyone has a safe and very happy 4th of July.  God Bless America! 


No comments:

Post a Comment