Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Oatmeal and Indigo



Here is my first hat ready to go for the festival.  I have it blocking on a foam head.  :)  It is a new form of torture for a foam head.   The hat will fit a man with a big old noggin.  I used the hubby's head as a measuring tool.  I used a US 8 Addi turbo with a 24 inch cord for the needles.  I highly recommend Alice Starmore's Fair Isle Knitting book for absolutely fabulous Fair Isle patterns.  It is my go to pattern book for FI.  :)  For those of you who think it is hard to knit FI, you are wrong, it is so simple and do not waste your time with bobbins...that causes more havoc than it is worth.  I just separate my two yarns and make sure they never cross.  It also helps to knit with two fingers when stranding colors.  My main yarn is on my index finger and the contrast is on my middle finger.  It works out nicely for me. 

As for color charts, if you have sticky notes, then use them as your guide.  They are cheap and they last for one pattern.  Do not waste your money on the magnetic covered ribbons, they are a waste of time and money.  I have no patience for them. 

I used Peruvian Highland Wool for this hat.  It is extremely soft and it is cheap.  I love knitting with it and it holds up.  If I don't spend a fortune on the yarn then I can pass the savings onto the consumer.  :)  You don't need to spend a fortune for absolutely wonderful yarns.  I have learned this in my knitting career.  If you know what you are looking for, you can find it for a reasonable price. 

I am on the heel section of the sock I am knitting.  I have turned the heel and I am about to pick up for the gusset.  Always fun to turn the heel.  It makes the rest of the sock go faster.  This pair is a 7.5 ladies sock.  I still haven't decided what price to list them at. 

No comments:

Post a Comment