Wednesday, April 13, 2011

All About the Texture


I finished one sock in my Garter Stitch Heel Socks.  This yarn is merino/tencel and it is silky smooth to knit with.  This particular colorway is cartwheel.  At first I wasn't enamored of it but, the more I knit with it, the more I began to like it.  I think all of the orange was putting me off.  I love how well it striped up.  :)  I decided that I wanted to knit a smooth sock but, wanted something of interest on the heel.  I chose to do a complete garter stitch heel and it actually gives it a small amount of texture. 

If you want to knit this sock...

you will need merino/tencel sock yarn in fingering weight, two pairs of US 3 circs with a 24 inch cable, and time. 

Cast on 56 stitches, start K1, P1 ribbing for 1 inch.  Make sure not to twist your stitches for the join.  You should have 28 stitches on each needle.  Knit plainly after you have achieved 1 inch of cuff.  I knit for 4 inches and with my 1 inch of cuff, I had 5 inches on the needles before I started my heel. 

Heel:  Knit off of needle 1 and only needle 1.  Knit, turn work, and knit until you have 2 inches on the heel flap.  Now for the heel turn.

Heel turn:  Knit 16 stitches, ssk, k1, turn. 
slip 1 purl 5, p2tog, p1, turn. 
slip 1, knit 6, ssk, k1, turn. 
When you go back to do your purl row...you will notice a space after the last stitch on your decreasing, this is your p2 tog, stitch and it will also be your k2 tog stitch on your knit row.  Continue in this way and eventually, you will run out of stitches.  When this occurs, it is time to pick up gusset stitches. 

If you end with a purl row, then knit across the row.  Now pick up 15 stitches on the left side of the heel, knit across needle 2, pick up 15 stitches on the right side, knit across needle one.  I usually knit across both needles twice after a pick up and then start my decreasing because this gives the heel more stability. 

Now, for the gusset stitches:

K1, ssk knit to three stitches before the end of the row, know K2tog, K1.
Knit across needle 2.
Knit across needle one and two. 
Then do a decrease row.  You will be knitting between decrease rows to make the gusset turn out.  When you have 28 stitches left on your number 1 needle, then continue knitting for the foot portion of the sock. 

Foot:
Knit plainly across both needles. 

Toe: 

Try the sock on....when you feel you have reached your shoe size...I gauge this by where my toes are.  I generally start the decreasing for the toe when I see the beginning of my pinky toe where it attaches to the ball of the foot. 

K1, ssk, knit to three stitches before the end of the row, k2tog, k1. on both needles.
Knit across on round two. 
Alternate these two rows and then when you have about 16 stitches total on both needles, then do only the decreasing round.  When you end up with 4 stitches total on your needles, then cut yarn, and graft the last 4 stitches and weave in all ends. 

Start sock 2. 

If you need help, please don't hesitate to ask.  No question is considered a dumb one.  Everyone needs help at some point in their lives. 

Enjoy the socks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment